Sunday, February 11, 2007

Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies

At a little party this weekend, my friend M made two batches of cookies: the first soft and chewy, the second brown and crispy. Wasn't that thoughtful of her? Which batch would you want? I much prefer my cookies well done and crisp around the edges. I want my cookies Kate Bosworth thin, bordering on burning. Take your mushy soft baked goods elsewhere. And by "elsewhere" I mean "leave them with me and I'll make sure they don't go to waste."

These cookies are about as crispy as it gets. In under 30 minutes prep time and using only ingredients I already had on hand, I had these delicious little throwbacks to Fall. But guess what else? They're from Fitness magazine, y'all. 94 calories each. You won't believe that when you have one, but it's true. Squee! I am serious about the squee, they are goooooood and my house smells like awesomeness.

Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies from Fitness

3/4 c. old fashioned oatmeal
3/4 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
3 tbsp. apple butter
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, salt and connamon; set aside. In a large bowl, blend butter, apple butter, and sugars until smooth. Add egg and vanilla; belnd. Add oat mixture; blend. Drop batter, 1 tablespoon at a time, onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake 18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly on baking sheets, then cool completely on racks. Makes 24 cookies.